Monday, May 24, 2010

Thoughts from the roof

"It is good to give thanks to the LORD,
to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
and your faithfulness by night."
Psalm 92:1-2

I love our roof. The breezes, the view, the freedom--prayers just flow from that high perch. Maybe it's being closer to the heavens or the small, insignificant-looking humans below but my breath is often taken away after I climb there (it could be the stairs too, I guess!). Lately my prayers, as I'm putting clothes on the line, are deep felt sighs trusting the Spirit to intercede for me in my weakness. Feeling dependent on Him, I glance around. Will we be here tomorrow? Next week? In the fall? I don't know. I sigh again.

Then I remember that James tells us that we are but a mist, here for a short while and then gone. My tomorrows are in His hands even if we lived in a land with more freedom.

I took this picture from the roof when the day was done. I love Psalm 92 which says to declare His faithfulness at night. One way God has been faithful to me during this time is reminding me of His consistency to bring the sun the next day. Elementary, I know. The daily rhythm of the sun reminds me of His love and His faithfulness. When the sun makes it's morning appearance, we remember His steadfast love and that His mercies are new even that day. At it's setting, we remember His faithfulness, both in today and throughout history. What a faithful, sovereign, and loving God we know. Join with me in declaring His faithfulness tonight.