Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Lord is Near

Pressed beyond measure; yes, pressed to great length,
Pressed so intensely, beyond my own strength,
Pressed in my body and pressed in my soul,
Pressed in my mind till the dark surges roll,
Pressure from foes and pressure from dear friends,
Pressure on pressure till my life nearly ends.

Pressed into knowing no helper but God,
Pressed into loving His staff and His rod,
Pressed into liberty where nothing clings;
Pressed into faith for impossible things.
Pressed into living my life for the Lord,
Pressed into living a Christ-life outpoured.

(This was passed on to me by a lovely saint. I don't know the author, but it must have been someone like Paul who said, "Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead." Come, Lord Jesus.)