Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Remembering mom on Christmas

My mom loved traditions at Christmas. Making fudge, eating a piece of chocolate when we counted down the days of advent, and drinking hot cocoa when we decorated the Christmas tree. (Bring on the chocolate!) When my sister and I got older she thought it would be fun for just the girls to do an annual Christmas event. One year (1993) we went to the Nutcracker and then she gave Sara and I this little wooden nutcracher as a rememberance keepsake.

His hat and his feet have been reglued and he survived one year when J tried to crack a real nut in him. I love bringing him out at Christmas because he reminds me of my mom AND why Jesus had to come.

"'Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?'
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through
our Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Cor. 15:54b-57

My mom died 5 years ago. Her mortal body is gone but because of her
faith in Christ, her soul lives on in the presence of God. This is all made possible because Jesus came, Immanuel, God with us, and rose from the dead, defeating sin and death. Joy to the earth, the Savior reigns!

So, I think a lot when I see my Nutcracker friend--great memories of
my dear mom and a certain victory in a loving Savior. Let heaven AND nature sing.